Sunday, April 21, 2013

Ingall, Parsons, Clive & Co. Ltd.


Ingall, Parsons, Clive & Co. Ltd. was a brassfounder and coffin manufacturer and was regarded as a leading funeral supply company in the UK in the 20th century. The business was established in Birmingham in 1888 following the amalgamation of fifteen companies in the city.

In 1928, Ingall's had 600 employees and was the largest firm in the coffin trade, with branches in most of the larger cities in the UK. The company is now dissolved but it seems to have traded until at least the early 1980s.

Advertisement from 1945


by Mark Matlach

5 comments:

  1. My mother who is now 81 worked here as her first job out of school as a 15 year old, she initially applied to sew the silk in the coffins but that job was taken and ended up as a lacquer sprayer of the coffins. She recalls a song that was used as an advertising ditti for the company. More info is available for anyone interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father Frederick Woodley was the factory foreman and I was always going into the factory and knew many of the staff. Is your mother called Barbara.

      Delete
  2. Douglas Heber Ingall was my grandfather, I'd be interested in any stories you have :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My great grandfather Charles White worked for the company in Harrow and was involved in the making of the coffin for tomb of unknown warrior..we have a piece of the wood used that has been passed down the family..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who are you ? Douglas Heber Ingall was my grandfather & the only children he had were my father & his twin brother who had no children I know of , so who are you ? a long lost relation ? Jenny :-)

    ReplyDelete