J. & A. D. Grimond were jute spinners and manufacturers established in Dundee in 1840, originally as cloth merchants. In 1847 the company purchased large handloom factories in Maxwelltown for the production of various jute fabrics. In 1857, the first large plant for the production of jute was established in the Bow Bridge Works, making J. & A. D. Grimond the second-largest manufacturer of jute in Dundee. The company manufactured carpets, rugs, bags, sacks, and mattings.
After the First World War, the jute industry in Britain was failing. There was a slump in the demand for jute and an increase in competition from manufacturers in India. This precarious situation prompted J. & A. D. Grimond to merge with a number of other Dundee jute manufacturers to form Jute Industries Ltd. in 1920. Jute Industries Ltd. became part of Sidlaw Industries in 1971, which later became Sidlaw Group plc in 1981.
By Mark Matlach