Sunday, April 3, 2011

J. R. Tennent

Hugh and Robert Tennent founded H. & R. Tennent in 1740 at Drygate Bridge, Glasgow, although the Tennent family had been associated with brewing in Glasgow since the mid 16th century.

Hugh Tennent's sons, John and Robert, continued the family business, trading as J. & R. Tennent from at least 1769. In the 1790s the business expanded by absorbing an adjacent brewhouse and the Drygate Brewery was renamed Wellpark Brewery. The company originally brewed stout and strong export ales. By the mid-19th century, J. & R. Tennent was the world's largest bottled beer exporter.

J. & R. Tennent became a limited liability company in 1901. The firm produced the first draught lager in 1924 and the first canned lager in 1935. The business became a public company in 1953. J. & R. Tennent Ltd. was taken over by Charrington United Breweries Ltd. in 1963, and in 1966 formally merged with Caledonian Breweries Ltd., Charrington's other Scottish holding, to form Tennent Caledonian Breweries Ltd. The new company continues to brew at Wellpark Brewery and claims to have the largest sales of all beers sold in Scotland.

Tennent's Wellpark brewery early 20th century

By Mark Matlach

No comments:

Post a Comment