In 1921, the de la Rue family sold their interests. It was first listed on the London Stock Exchange in 1947. The Company, then called Thomas De La Rue & Company, Limited, changed its name in 1958 to The De La Rue Company Limited. A takeover bid for De La Rue was made by the Rank Organization Plc in 1968 but this was rejected by the Monopolies commission as being against the public interest. In 1991 the company’s name was changed again--this time to De La Rue Plc.
In 1997 De La Rue acquired Harrison and Sons, the stamp and banknote printers, based in High Wycombe. Harrisons had made significant inroads into De La Rue's banknote printing operations.
In 2003 the Company acquired the Debden based banknote printing operations of the Bank of England.
By Paul Green