Sunday, November 21, 2010

Flower and Sons Ltd.

Flower’s Brewery was founded in 1831 by Edward Fordham Flower. He was the son of Richard Flower, a brewer, banker and sheep breeder who moved from London to Illinois. Born in Hertfordshire, Edward Flower went to the United States with his father but returned to England to establish his brewery in Stratford-on-Avon. He would later become the town’s mayor and a magistrate for Warwickshire.

Enjoying continual growth, Flower’s Brewery was acquired by J. W. Green Ltd of Luton in 1954 and the name changed to Flower’s Breweries Ltd.

In 1961 the parent company was absorbed by the expanding Whitbread empire, one of the big six brewers in the UK.

Flower’s Brewery was closed in 1968 and production transferred to Whitbread's Cheltenham brewery.

By Paul Green

No comments:

Post a Comment