In 1836, William Parker opened a small ironmongers shop in Broad Street, Birmingham. As business in the ironmongery trade increased, Parker recruited Alfred Winder in 1873 and John Achurch in 1890. Now operating as Parker, Winder & Achurch, the company sold a wide range of hardware and metal-based products such as fireplaces, pumps, fencing, and sanitary ware. By the end of the 19th century, Parker, Winder & Achurch had become a limited company, with showrooms in New Street and workshops and warehouses in nearby Brasshouse Passage and St. Peters' Place.
In 1936 Parker, Winder & Achurch Ltd. moved to larger premises on the opposite side of Broad Street.
This photograph, taken sometime during The Second World War, shows an air-raid shelter for sale at Parker, Winder & Achurch Ltd. in Broad Street. It cost £4.00 to buy.
In 1972 Parker, Winder & Achurch Ltd. relocated to the Kings Norton district of Birmingham, where they remained until 1992 when the company was acquired by Frederick Cooper Ltd., the UK's foremost paint spraying and powder coating company.